Reverend Algernon Humfrey (photograph, opposite right) was rector from 1876 to 1902. He supplemented his church living by running a boarding school at the rectory, normally for a maximum of 15 boys up to the age of 14, but in 1881 there were 20 boys. His promotional pamphlet proclaimed that “the system, discipline and routine of work are, as much as possible, those of a public school”.
(Old photographs courtesy of the Humfrey family and Mr. J. B. Greenhalgh)