Thorpe Mandeville Court, on the opposite side of Bulls Lane to the Manor, is the former Rectory (above photograph, 2009).
|Rev'd Algernon Humfrey|
The house is believed
to have 17th century origins but it has been materially extended – no
doubt when the church received capital or land in lieu of tithes. For many
years it was the home of the Humfrey family who provided five generations
of rectors between 1727 and 1902 with only one gap of 19 years. Memorials
in the church recognise their contribution to the parish. The Rectory was
also used as a boarding school for boys by Rev’d Algernon Humfrey during
the late 19th century. The 1901 census records the family having a cook and
The Rectory was sold into private hands by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1923.
|The Rectory, early 1900s|
In the same year the Commissioners also sold a terrace of three cottages subsequently known as Court Cottages which were later converted into one dwelling, Court’s Farthing.
(Old photographs courtesy of the Humfrey family and later photographs courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Greenhalgh)